....

description required

Thursday, July 27

dumb shit - huh huh - YEAH, THAT SHIT'S DUMB, HEH HEH. huh-huh, yeah, duuuumb

i found some effective new stretches for the upper body. there have been immediate consequences. i'm eager to see what happens in a week or so.

to be clear, this is important. far more important than any stretching i've been doing so far. the lower back/lower body stretching simply gave me more stamina throughout the day. well, that, and it gave me an understanding of how the stretching process would work, meaning, what i could expect in terms of progress, what pain limit was most effective to hold etc. and it got me simply into the habit of stretching. but all the while the upper-body loomed. the sides, the chest, the shoulders, the neck. this is where my real muscle pain lies.

my mother grabbed some book a few weeks ago about how to heal yourself through exercise. i finally looked through it two days ago. every symptom or problem i thought that related to me seems to be able to be cured by either running or stretching. and for a few things it mentioned the healing powers of weightlifting. (this is all obvious, but...) running topped most mental problem categories, from depression to creative blocks. and it's true, physical activity has cured me of any problems of anxiety. stretching was listed as the cure to muscle pain.

i know how to run, and i've never felt any discomfort from the waist down, so i checked out the diagrams for stretches to help shoulder and neck pain. i've tried stretching my upper body before but one part of me said that it was less important because the muscles weren't as big and so the effect would be less pleasing. but another part of me felt like it was too hard, physically and mentally.

the tension in my neck and shoulders goes hand in hand with my daily ruts and habits. stretching my lower body allowed me to enjoy those things more fully. but those things all involve holding still, whether it's watching tv or a video game or reading and writing on the computer. those things aren't so bad in themselves, but i've attached other, worse vices to them - smoking, drinking, chewing, eating.

maybe i'm naively ambitious, but the part of me that didn't want to stretch my upper body was, i believe, the part of me that didn't want to let go of habits that i'd come to rely on.

it's been a fairly long path to recovery (from what ever it is that i feel now the urge to say that i recovered from it) and i've come in small steps. it's the way i wanted to. i think that i could have gotten to this point much more swiftly had i begun stretching my upper body a while ago. i had seen that book for a while now. but not until two days ago did i finally feel like it was time to see what it said and then, what's more, go ahead and try out some of the diagrams.

i'm slow to motivate.

anyway, it's not like after a few weeks of these stretches that i'll be unrecognizable, it's just, this is a step that i've been meaning to take for years. i get to feel like, while i'm still going up and down, overall, i'm on an upswing.

quick note: the pain in my chest that i used to be able to crack, yet haven't been able to for nearly a year (a year i spent weightlifting), is now, finally, able to guide me into raising my shoulders off my chest by activating my upper back.

doing something productive with that pain has been a very long term goal for me.

i've had problems with tension since i was young. the way i played video games and read books on my stomach kept my neck very stiff. i remember my family making fun of me when i would start to complain and then panic because i couldn't yawn. i have the same problem sitting here today. i can't quite get the release i want to feel - can't quite yawn the whole way. i envy dogs when i see them do it. i feel like i'm closer to being able to detach my jaw than to stretch it out.

so, the pain, what i now recognize as stiffness, is very evident while doing these stretches, especially evident when compared to how it felt when i started stretching my lower body. but it's also more fun, and contrary to what that one part of me had felt, more pleasing than the bigger muscles. this, counter-intuitive, because of an over-looked factor: there was much more stiffness in my upper-body. it's i've saved up the pain in my back, made it ripe.

(i wonder how many of my true beliefs i don't relay here because i can't write well enough to get them across, and so what i write is always behind how i truly feel.)

i used to think (vaguely) that the pain and tension (and power) i was building up in my back and neck would be able to be released with the action-equal-opposite-reaction principle. like i was storing up energy. and maybe that could have been the case. but i feel now more like i don't want an explosion. maybe now i'd rather have a long and steady increase. and the more that i come to believe that, the easier it is for me to let the pain and stress go - not like letting a nearly filled up balloon slip from your grasp, letting it take off in a frenzied scream, but like letting it float for a while until it slowly seeps away. the latter feels much more healthy to me. however the former held promise or the possibility of doing something...surprising, uncontrolled and great.

but more, i think that thoughts like the last one were just traps. perspectives change.

so, anyway, let's see what happens. i mean, shit, i'm even getting excited about the idea of starting one of these stores down at the beach. you couldn't have made me think about it two years ago. (thus noting the main point of recovery as the last, un-parentheses-ed sentence of a post about recovery)

5 $BlogItemCommentCount$:

  • At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    heyya kiddo, long time no comment.

    wow, so i know what you mean about storing up tension. last week i literally made myself sick from working too much: hours in front of the computer, hunched over a desk, and sitting in class fucking tied my muscles into knots. mental stress on top of repetitive physical strain really does quite a number on you.

    so you have to send me some stretching exercises or something. the semester's coming up a lot sooner than i'd like to think, and that means tons of aches and pains. exercise would probably help a lot. it suchs though - exercise does such wonders, but at the end of a long day when you could really benefit from it you're so tired you don't feel like doing it.

    anyway. boring. i hope you've been having an alright summer for yourself kiddo. keep in touch, ttys.

    xoxo

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Olivia Meiring said…

    Haha this is the best post I have read in a long long time... all of my 29 years I never thought I'd get to read so much about stretching in a single post. In fact I have never read about stretching before. Im so behind the times.

    It does work though. Ive found this weird form of yoga Ive been doing has amazing effects on my whole outlook and helps me to be a lot less rodenty and twitchy.

    Id like to see what happens to you after one month of this "stretching" thing.

    And also as a first, my word verification for today is "ddokj". I've never had that one before.

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger chad was marco said…

    rodenty?? haha, you're crazy. i don't even know what that means.

    can you touch your toes yet?

    hahaha, so many people choose to tell me about their word verifications. how'd you all know i'm the kind of person that would be very interested?

    and now that i'm replying to comments (please don't take offense or anything, liz) yeah, i would send you some stretches but this book i bought with some simple ones in them is making me furious. i can't handle trying to do something but not be able to get into the stretch. i feel i make much better progress when i just try to find stretches on my own. it just so happened that the few in that big book worked right away but then i went out and bought a stretching book and its second one i tried didn't work at all and i got so mad that i stopped stretching at all for almost a week. by the way, the first stretch i tried from that book (and it working convinced me to buy the book) was the lion stretch i think? you raise your eyebrows and then raise your upper lip revealing your top teeth all feral like so that you look just like a moron and then you lock the tip of your tongue at the inside base of your bottom teeth and stick the middle of your tongue out of your mouth like your tongue is stretching its back like it has a spine. my tentative first try got me lightheaded and made me realize that it was more than just ok, it was important, to stretch your jaw and other areas of your head. it even had a wake up in the morning stretch where first thing you should open your eyes as wide as you could and look side to side and things like that. so these things all seemed like things i could accomplish without much effort and was a main reason i'm starting with a book like this instead of a yoga book. but then came that other stretch that i tried but couldn't get to work and so i tried harder and harder until i was so stressed out i quit for a week.

    i find that at the end of a *really* long hard day, that stretching is impossible. i lose all focus and almost fall asleep standing up.

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    duder.. i'm thinking about dipping in some classes on this...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini_Yoga

    it could either be completely silly or interesting, or all that is...

    the last 20 years have me assuming that all expectations result in a moderate average..

    but mostly, the handful of yoga classes that i've had make me think there is something very interesting going on..

    completely different existances attained through physical movement..

    beats me man.. anyways, i'm glad you are interested in how your physical being (muscle tension, etc.) is important for more than normal high school health class anctedotes. seems like there is a lot of things to learn about existance in things that are far less cerebral, but ultimately very cerebral.. miss ya bud.. forgive spellings..

    late

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger chad was marco said…

    i'm thinking this is lou, but adam is more prone to calling me 'duder' i think, and shawn has talked with me a lot lately about yoga and cerebral, yet lou has talked to me about stretching and would say 'miss ya bud,' but adam would too, but shawn would post a link, but shawn's just talked to me about this and so wouldn't find the need to comment on an old post about it, i think, and he wouldn't ask me to forgive his spellings like lou probably would or adam might, and last time lou said, 'by the way, this is lou'

    either way, it's a friend. i miss you too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Click for Virus

 
NOTE: z
No smoking around chadswope. Thankyou for your co-operation.

Username:
From Go-Quiz.com