....

description required

Wednesday, June 14

quick update on a new stage of quitting drinking

when the drinker tries a drink only once over 11 days, he encounters a clearer realization and a clearer problem. me, being the drinker, i, thus now making this a first-person account, have noticed something that makes quitting drinking all the harder. when i'd go a few days to 5 without drinking, as i've documented many times in other posts, each day got better, i'd feel better, giving the promise that stopping for ten days would mean ten times the good feeling. instead, it plateaus, as would be obvious, and so when it was hard not to drink after five days, because i felt so good anyway, it is always going to be hard to not want to drink after 10 or fifteen.

but not just as hard. in fact it's been much easier for me to not be tempted and i actually feel like i'm now reaching the realm of the healthiest social binge drinker in that i only feel like drinking if something great is happening - like a friend riding his bike from pittsburgh to ebensburg. so this is all good. i'm just not pumped about not feeling a lot better, quickly.

but i am happy about not drinking. so it's just, you don't feel better than the last day, but you still feel pretty grateful that you don't feel bad when you wake up, and that's enough for me. for now.

anything else?

hmm, oh, a few posts ago i noted that i was thinking i should be worried that i stopped excercising and working out and stretching even less. then i said i wasn't worried. also i ran out of vitamins and my vitamin world store closed in altoona.

anyway, point is, i've had a migraine headache everyday for the last 11 days. starting with my last night of drinking. the pharmacist at weis' market says allergies

7 $BlogItemCommentCount$:

  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Lou said…

    allergies eh? probably not....I have been MIA, postless, going to work on that, coming home in a bout a week and a half and looking forward to it as always....I would check out your page and see if you posted something - when there were no new posts, i found it acceptable not to post something at my page...Here's the point: After reading your thoughts weeks after no communication, I remembered (not that it would ever escape my mind) the importance of your friendship and my eagerness to come home and hang out.

    Those moments are funny, I'll be walking down the street and remember who I am and take in the moment, but lately I don't know what to make of it and try not to care since situations as of late are crazy. I am wading in INDIFFERENCE, waist high, and I don't care if I put my head under. There is more to be said, maybe soon, definitely in Ebensburg.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger chad was marco said…

    well that sure makes things better - if it's not allergies, i guess i need an mri...

    LOU, hello. next weekend? awesome. you getting this shawn? hopefully i'll be better by then. i successufully drank last night for the first time since two sundays ago (other than with nathan when i was forced to stop), but, woke up at 4am with the migraine-ish headache and had to lie on a heating pad wide awake in pain until it finally went away enough for me to fall asleep again around 5. so, unsuccessful, would be a better term for the experience, but i didn't have to use the thera-flu. i guess once you've experienced a kind of pain enough, you're more prepared mentally for it and it's course.

    alright, i think i'll break into something here. what might be the worst part about pain for me is guilt. you fall down and scrape your knee and you know why it hurts. you fell down. your fault. you get a pain like a headache and people don't usually draw such a direct cause/effect like the falling and the scraped knee. the pain from the headache is not visual or instant, but you caused it, unless it's something like allergies. so that's the problem - what is wrong? therefore, since i can't control the environment, i blame myself for pains like this - and probably rightly. but i think here's where i screw things up. i think i overlook the obvious reasons so that i don't have to change the things that are hardest - like diet and lifestyle (read: stopping working out and tv + video games since i don't sleep until 3am usually). but this headache almost only comes on after eating a big supper and kicking my feet up to watch a pirate game etc. therefore, i almost want to keep the headache so that i'm forced to change my lifestyle, so i stop wasting time.

    so i don't want someone to tell me thinking like this isn't healthy or isn't necessary. i want it to be the case that i have to change and not that it's just the environment as the Weis pharmacist says. when i'd mentioned it to someone else about how it only comes on when i'm not being healthy the guy instantly assures me that watching tv for a while isn't not being healthy. but somehow i feel guilty about it. i guess all my mental problems would be solved if i just opened up one of these stores on my own. then, preoccupied with work and thoughts about my advancing career, i'd pop pain pills without a second thought because the business would be more important than my inevitable bodily decay...

    so, anyway, hope that perked you up.

    i wonder what it's like for you and indifference. right now it seems more like you're in a boot camp than a job. you're told what to do basically, right?, and so you still don't quite have the freedom of action and therefore the responsibility that comes with that and thence the mental anguish that comes with that and which can supersede your own, personal problems, like guilt because of a headache. maybe. but this shouldn't be what we talk about in eburg. let's start being wine conousiers and we'll talk about that..shaweet, lou

    i have an odd feeling or rather, a vague memory, that steve's coming back from greece on the 22nd. but maybe it's later than that. i hope not.

    see you then

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Blogger chad was marco said…

    ha! normally you'd be right about the confusion part, but the pharmacist was a lady and we had an excellent rapport, discussing and explaining for much longer than one would expect.

    also, my co-worker had previously mirrored the exact responses and predictions that the pharmacist did. why don't any of you think it's allergies??

    anyway, i wonder if lou can make it home by thursday. if so, steve and i could go visit you thursday night with lou showing up, too. if not, i hope you'll come in. nathan and i are almost definitely hiking in shenandoah the week after and so i can't get other days off, sadly, especially weekend days. so the beach probably isn't possible for me because nothing is stopping me from hiking.

    on another note, there is no way to decrease my stress further, heh.

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger chad was marco said…

    heh, well maybe i just think she followed. but actually, i'm better at being precise when during work hours. all day long i explain things to people at work. but then after work, effort declines.

    so, it probably is tension headaches. one's coming on right now coincidentally

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Salomé said…

    I can think of a possible solution for all the problems you mentioned here, but I'm reluctant to point it out. But knowing me, you can probably guess.

    S.

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Salomé said…

    P.S. I'd like to get your opinion on some writing that I don't want to/can't post on my site. What do you think of me emailing it to you or would that be crazy?If it's ok, come to my blog where you will find my email address. You can email me yours and I will send it to you. I like the way you write, so I would just like your feedback about something.

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger chad was marco said…

    so that's cool, S.

     

Post a Comment

<< Click for Virus

 
NOTE: z
No smoking around chadswope. Thankyou for your co-operation.

Username:
From Go-Quiz.com